Along with Paquet, Pollack and Laliberté, Syndicat de Québec was one of the four department stores behind the development of Quebec City’s Saint-Roch neighbourhood during much of the 20th century. The store was founded in 1886 on Rue Saint-Joseph by six former department managers from Paquet. In 1892, Syndicat de Québec moved into a neighbouring building at the corner of Saint-Joseph and De la Couronne streets. The store was completely rebuilt six years later. From 1933 to 1937, Syndicat de Québec underwent a major expansion thanks to the thriving retail scene.
The store was extended to Boulevard Charest, making it the city’s second largest, after Paquet.
Syndicat de Québec finally closed in 1981. The building was then converted into an office tower.
Trépanier, Paul et Céline Mérette. “Le grand magasinage. Une tournée des magasins qui ont fait les beaux jours des rues commerçantes”, Continuité, no 42, Winter 1989, p. 37.
Madeleine Goubau, Contributor