Born in Sherbrooke, Louis-Philippe de Sève opened his Montreal-based dressmaking salon in the late 1920s on Bishop Street before moving to St. Louis Square. In 1951, he moved again, this time to St. Denis Street. He almost became an engineer before becoming a designer. He was known for being a perfectionist when it came to the fit of his clothes. A founding member of the Association of Canadian Couturiers, he took part in the Association’s earliest activities, notably the fashion show at Montreal’s Ritz-Carlton Hotel in September 1954 and the show at the Pierre Hotel in New York City in December of the same year. From 1957 to at least 1965, he taught cutting and sewing at the École des métiers commerciaux.
Cynthia Cooper, McCord Museum