Born in Montreal, 1953
Les tricots d’Ariane Creations, 1990 © Pierre Dury. Photo courtesy of Les tricots d’Ariane
Ariane Carle is a Montreal designer of high-end womenswear. She designs collections of ready-to-wear as well as custom-made evening wear, notably wedding dresses and dresses for the mother of the bride.
Everything is produced locally, in her own ateliers.
In January 2019, her boutique Maison Ariane Carle moved to Laurier Street after 23 years on St. Joseph Boulevard.
After graduating in graphic design from the École des beaux-arts (School of Fine Arts) and in pattern design from the Cotnoir Capponi school of fashion design, both in Montreal, Ariane Carle began her fashion career in 1978 making knitwear. Her creations under the label Les Tricots d’Ariane were primarily sold at La Boutique Soleil, an art gallery in Old Montreal owned by Suzèle Lachapelle, her mother and business partner.
Soft, delicate, and transparent, her knit fabrics were made of fibres, often cotton/synthetic blends, imported from India and China.
With growing sales in Canada and the United States, Les Tricots d’Ariane opened two stores in Toronto and one in Montreal on Laurier Street, before moving to Casgrain Street. The company employed a team of 15 or so seamstresses. However, the recession forced Les Tricots d’Ariane to cease operations in 1994.
The following year, Ariane Carle relaunched her business under a new label, Ariane Carle Design. As the daughter of director Gilles Carle, the designer has gravitated toward the culture community since she was young and counts many Quebec celebrities among her clients.
Les tricots d'Ariane Brochure, 1989 © Jean-Claude Lussier. Photo courtesy of Les tricots d’Ariane
Made-to-mesure Collection © Daniel Daignault. Photo courtesy of Maison Ariane Carle
Hébert-Dolbec, Anne-Frédérique. « 40 ans au service de la beauté. » L’Express Outremont / Mont-Royal, Métro, 28 November 2016, http://journalmetro.com/local/outremont-mont-royal/actualites/1055852/40-ans-au-service-de-la-beaute/.
Madeleine Goubau, Contributor
© McCord Museum 2021